kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 22 23:38:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 18:21 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> That doesn't work for the same reason Fedora doesn't do that with the
> kernel packages themselves - upgrades.

Yeah, I realized that after posting, see my reply-to-self message in
this thread.

>   Let's say Fedora pushes a new
> kernel 2.6.12-0.1000.  Presumably around the same time whatever third-
> party repository I'm grabbing my drivers from will push a new version of
> the driver.  If the package had the kernel version in its package name,
> it would not get automatically updated, and I'd have to manually install
> the new drivers.  Laaaame... ;-)

...unless you're using apt from fedora.us/pre-extras :)  Probably it's
that way also in apt packages from other repositories.  Yeah, apt
doesn't really count that much any more and will do so even less in the
future.  Nevertheless, this is good food for thought.