rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Sun Jan 23 17:39:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 05:48:23PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 11:50 -0400, mbneto wrote:
> >

> > I think that one of the problems is the dependency issue.   I've been
> > using RedHat/Fedora since RH 3 and one thing that makes me sad is that
> > every other distro seems to have a "minimum/firewall like" install and
> > the 'minimum' install for fcX is 700Mb...
>
> well if you try a bit harder you get 300Mb though...
> still not really small (but if you remove the locales and man pages from
> that it might get there somewhat)

With xen it could make more sense again to minimize installations and then
have smaller images where only few services run. E.g. an image just
for mysql, one with bind, ...
While kickstart is normally very good for these things, question still
comes up if it would be important enough to again put some more selections
into the GUI-installer parts for this.

greetings,

Florian La Roche