RFC: Soname in rpm name

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 10:57:20 UTC 2005

Le lundi 24 janvier 2005 à 11:34 +0100, Aurelien Bompard a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> A question to packagers: what would you think of a policy to add the library
> soname in package libraries ? For example, I have a libkexif package, which
> provides libkexif.so.0, and at least 3 applications depend on it. Now there
> is an update to libkexif, which provides libkexif.so.1. I can't update
> libkexif without updating the applications depending on it.
> OK, this is probably something that you know much better than me, and that
> you've run into several times before, so you probably already know the
> solution. I've searched a bit, and it seems that Mandrake and Debian both
> have a policy to include the library soname in the package name :
> http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowToAdvanced#Library_policy
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html
>
> How about a similar policy for Fedora ? Is it the best solution to this
> problem ?

This is done when needed.
Example for FC3 :
gtkhtml2-2.6.2-1.i386.rpm ; gtkhtml3-3.3.2-3.i386.rpm

btw :
[fmatias at one i386]$ rpm -q --provides -p gtkhtml2-2.6.2-1.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml-2.so.0  <===
gtkhtml2 = 2.6.2-1
[fmatias at one i386]$ rpm -q --provides -p gtkhtml3-3.3.2-3.i386.rpm
libgnome-gtkhtml-editor-3.1.so
libgtkhtml-3.1.so.11 <===
gtkhtml3 = 3.3.2-3

Other packages must use "Requires : libgtkhtml-2.so" and not
"libgtkhtml3" or "gtkhtml3".