RFC: Soname in rpm name

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 11:16:24 UTC 2005

Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>Jeff Johnson wrote:
>

>>Ick. I see the entropic death of packaging, one file per-package. Silly.
>>

>Of course not :)

I shall have to find the package in Debian that not only added the
libraray soname, but every Provides: and configure flag, to
the package name as well. The final package name is >4Kb.

Seriously, there are othere metadata elements than package name, even if
Debian is still confused.

>Shared libraries are a different problem however, and it may be nice to
>install different versions at the same time.

Installing multiple libraries with different sonames, and adding sonames
to package NEVR, are very different issues.

73 de Jeff