RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 15:00:19 UTC 2005

Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> installonly packages are already well understood by depsolvers.  Look
> at the kernel packages.

True, but we would need something which can be set in the package itself.
It looks like something unofficial is already used by Red Hat : if other
packages depend on the old library, provide it in a different package
containing the library's soname. For example, libpng and libpng10.

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds