suggests/requires in rpm

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 24 19:05:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 23:08 +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 22:32, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I, for one, thought Jeff was clear that it's the job of depsolvers
> > > (anaconda, yum, smart, apt) to decide what to do with the extra
> > > information.
> >
> > All that's really been done is to push the decision-making process
> > off on the depsolvers.
>
> Which is what it should do.  Depsolvers are becoming the defacto
> interface to the packaging system; responsibility may feel burdensome
> at times, but it's a pretty clear distinction to implement these
> processes at this level.
>
> The less magic RPM does, the better. Depsolvers are more fluid than RPM,

Not arguing with you - but figuring out the correct, default behavior at
the depsolver level is not easier :)

Anyone who thinks the correct behavior is 'ask the user' is deeply
confused about the understanding the average user has about
package/dependency issues.

We have to have a correct and adequate default state. We can present
options, but we must not rely on the user for this.

-sv