rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Jan 24 21:19:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 18:49, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> > If ANY of these packages are not going to be maintained by the
> > original Core maintainers as  part of Extras... tell the community NOW
> > so that someone can step up and offer to maintain it.
>
> You're absolutely correct. This is how it stands, AFAIK:
>
> Orphaned:
> - aumix
> - balsa/libesmtp (really, they go together)
> - cdp
> - comsat
> - grip
> - gv
> - pdksh (then again, it's getting replaced by ksh)
> - sylpheed
> - xosview
> - xsnow
> - ytalk
>
> Not sure:
> - diskcheck
> - freeciv
> - gnuchess
> - pan
> - xboard

I propose that a2ps and its associated psutils is orphaned ... there has been
no activity by the originator/maintainer since 2000.  The associated mailing
list has had little traffic other than spam in years.

HOWEVER,  I would also propose keeping it in Core since it serves a very
useful basic function of pretty-printing many forms of source code files.
Nevertheless, I would also agree that it should be moved to Extras when that
is more operational.

I, personally, would not be willing to step up to maintenance although someone
else may be willing ... locale support is missing.
--
Gene