grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Jan 26 09:54:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 19:21 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:10:29 -0700, Trever L. Adams
> <tadams-lists at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > For someone who understands gstreamer, this should be a VERY simple
> > plugin to write I would think.
>
> shrug.. i was just pointing out one of the primary reasons i see fc3
> users are still using xmms.

personally, I still use grip because I have all my music sorted neatly
into folders with M3U's for each album and xmms lets me just double
click the file and play the album.

I really don't like the interface for Rhythmbox.

However, I'd be more than happy to see xmms slip into extras.  Assuming
Extras is done well it should still be easy to install, and I usually
use 3rd party xmms installs anyway because of the lack of MP3 support in
FC3.

Rodd.

PS. And I hope this PS doesn't start a riot but I'm going to ask anyway,

I understand and respect Redhats' decision not to include MP3 support
due to licensing issues.  RHEL is after all a 'paid for' product and the
licensing regarding MP3's is somewhat vague.

However, given that Fedora Core is a download only product and that no
money is exchanged for it, I can't understand why MP3 support isn't
included in FC as the licensing issues for FC shouldn't be an issue.

The only sane reason I can think of is that FC is used as a feeder for
RHEL.  This concerns me, because if this is the case, then I'm not sure
how this whole community process thing for FC is going to work.  It
seems to me that there is a conflict if the community wants support for
MP3 (which FC could have due to it being 'free of charge', or am I
wrong) and RH's needs to have FC ready for use in RHEL.  This is only
one example, but I just wonder how this will be managed in the future as
it's more than like that the 'community' will want things included that
RHEL doesn't.

Anyhow, I'm tuck my head in and try not to open any more cans of worms
(like the whole community participation stuff which has been discussed
occassionally on this list ;-] )

--
>From the pain come the dream
>From the dream come the vision