rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jan 26 11:06:35 UTC 2005

Nicolas.Mailhot at laPoste.net (Nicolas Mailhot) writes:

>> Things may be different on CRTs; I haven't tried to use one in years.
>> However, the mere suggestion that the possibility of using antialiased
>> fonts in text applications should be avoided simply because you think
>> bitmaps are sufficient is ludicrous.  You can still use bitmap fonts
>> through fontconfig if you like, so you don't lose anything.
>
> Anyway the whole argument doesn't stand because you have all the
> tunables needed in fontconfig to fine-tune what kind of AA you want at
> what sizes in a per-user and per-font basis.
>
>  <match target="font">
>          <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
>                  <bool>false</bool>
>          </edit>
>  </match>
>
> (elapsed time : 3 min in google)

and crap... this is just an argument of pro-AA people who want to
demonstrate how ugly non-AA fonts are.

The statements above turn just off antialiasing but still use the same
render technology. With the available free fonts (bitstream), this
creates disrupted lines and makes it look yet more ugly than AA.

The real solution would be to use bitmap fonts.

Enrico