rawhide report: 20050126 changes

Wed Jan 26 20:27:50 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 26 janvier 2005 à 20:17 +0100, Féliciano Matias a écrit :
> Le mercredi 26 janvier 2005 à 15:38 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :

> > > <snip more Jakarta and Struts packages>
> > >
> > > Hmm, I thought you were striving to reduce the amount of packages going
> > > into Core? Just asking really, but is Jakarta and Struts something that
> > > should be in Core? If so, why? What makes them important "base
> > > distribution" packages?
> > >
> > > (Sorry if I missed something and this is something that'll be moved to
> > > Pre-Extras)
> >
> > Obviously that's a lot of stuff that will be used in RHEL.
>
> I don't remember Red Hat stating that Fedora *Core* have a direct
> relationship this RHEL.
>
> For me, RHEL can be :
> FC + FE + other things

One big reason RH is in Fedora is for the RHEL it makes out of it
One big reason a lot of people use Fedora is the RedHat touch they get
for free. So it's a symbiotic relationship.

I for one would be the last to complain I have access in FC to large
parts of RHEL. We're not talking about resources Red Hat is taking from
parts of Fedora to reallocate elsewhere (which is IMHO a large part of
what's extra is about). We're talking about ressources Red Hat already
allocated for its *paying* customers and is sharing for free with FC
users (If you just take a peek at who's maintaining the java packages
you'll see they're not people already contributing heavily to other
parts of FC. So don't worry your packages are safe).

Complaining about a free gift is not overly polite.

--
Nicolas Mailhot