grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:22:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 10:44 +0100, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Casper Pedersen wrote:
>

> >> I think xmms is ugly, no matter what theme you put on it. RhythmBox is
> >> at least organized in a nice way.
> >>

> > Depends on how you see it; xmms is nice, small, and might not be
> > pretty, but it works. RythmBox is big and slow to use with very large
> > collections of files, but it is pretty.
>

> Personally, I think xmms looks better. It's plain, but displays what it
> should and doesn't take a lot of screen estate.

It has awful skins, does not integrate with the rest of the desktop,
and does *not* look better.

> it manages to be huge
> and cluttered while not displaying much)

It's not supposed to be on-screen all the time - you're supposed
to choose what to play and minimize it, or run it in mini mode.
It's a nice browser for music collections.  I am just waiting for
it to finally integrate with musicbrainz, and support a radio station
browser.

> and sloooooooow. When trying to
> add my music collection (5000 songs or so... got way too many CDs), xmms
> is finished in an instant.

Does xmms let you search? Does it organize by genre?
By album? Does it support drag and drop playlist editing?
Radio stations? Does it minimize in the notification area?

>  Rhythmbox just stays unresponsive for 30 mins
> using all CPU, not displaying any progress or letting you do anything.

I have about half your collection, and by extrapolating I can tell that
this this is a huge exaggeration on any modern machine. Furthermore
you're not supposed to be adding your entire collection every time.
You do that once, so speed is a non-issue.

My main complaint is that for me is starts leaking memory when I try
to add that many songs at once, eventually using up all system
resources, and getting killed by the OOM killer. Happens 2/3 times.
That is a bug, not normal behavior. I'll file a bugzilla some day
when I get sufficiently annoyed.

> Rhythmbox shouldn't displace better working alternatives until it has
> gotten useful.

It's a database-backed music player, and cannot be compared to xmms,
which is totally different. It's very useful - I use it all the time.
xmms is the ancient past.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University