grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 16:19:07 UTC 2005

On 01/27/2005 11:22 AM, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>>>Depends on how you see it; xmms is nice, small, and might not be
>>>pretty, but it works. RythmBox is big and slow to use with very large
>>>collections of files, but it is pretty.
>>
>>Personally, I think xmms looks better. It's plain, but displays what it
>>should and doesn't take a lot of screen estate.
>
> It has awful skins, does not integrate with the rest of the desktop,
> and does *not* look better.

Matter of taste...

>>it manages to be huge
>>and cluttered while not displaying much)
>
> It's not supposed to be on-screen all the time - you're supposed
> to choose what to play and minimize it, or run it in mini mode.

I have it on my secondary monitor (dual head setup) and have it sit
there all the time alongside with gkrellm and whatever else...

Who's there to tell me the way I'm supposed to work (or think for that
matter)? Not everybody works the same way and forcing it on people is a
bad idea. And you can do the same with xmms: select what you want to
play and minimize it.

> Does xmms let you search? Does it organize by genre?
> By album? Does it support drag and drop playlist editing?

Don't know, don't use.

> Radio stations?

Haven't you ever played online radio via xmms? BTW: Rhythmbox freezes on
my box when I click on any of the default radio stations... So for me it
does not play radio.

> Does it minimize in the notification area?

Don't know, don't use.

>>Rhythmbox shouldn't displace better working alternatives until it has
>>gotten useful.

+1.

> It's a database-backed music player, and cannot be compared to xmms,
> which is totally different.

Therefore is not an alternative nor replacement. It's rather different
application class that happens to play music.

Someone mentioned playing a file from filesystem. This is waht I do --
select files or directory from the filesystem and play it. I don't care
about database backend.

> It's very useful - I use it all the time.

I don't. It crashes too often and unfortunately does not work the way
I'd like it to :(

> xmms is the ancient past.

For me it's the present, even if from the past. It just works.

In my opinion this discussion shows that there should be place for both
programs in FC -- they do things differently and suit different groups
of people.

Regards,
Dariusz