grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Thu Jan 27 23:40:38 UTC 2005

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2005 à 14:21 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:26:05PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > The non-latin support of gtk2 (vs gtk1) alone is a clear user benefit.
> > So this is *very* far from an abstract argument with no tangible end-
> > user incidence.
>
> I don't dispute that. But this is all tangential to the main purpose
> of the freaking thing: to play music. You can get me the best non-latin
> support, perfect HIG compliance, etc. but it it doesn't do a good job
> playing music, it can't replace xmms.

If you can't even read your playlist because xmms displays garbage, do
you really think you'll appreciate the music you can't find ? (and btw
xmms is not better at playing music than any other linux player - they
all use the same backend libraries for christsakes. In fact the argument
could easily be made that xmms is *worse* at playing music - all the
stupid badly written eye-candy has been known to load systems enough to
cause music skips)

I'm not too fond of the rhythmbox UI myself. I'm the last one who'd say
it doesn't have room for improvement. I'll even admit there are some
parts of xmms' garbage heap of an ui that are better thought than the
rhythmbox one. But even if xmms and rhythmbox were on the same level
(and they're not - xmms' few qualities do not redeem its numerous
problems) rhythmbox is getting better and xmms - not. Which means xmms
will leave FC sooner or later and rhythmbox will stay (till it's
relegate to history too). If it doesn't happen in FC4 it'll happen in
FC5. So I'll stop loosing my time arguing about it here and let software
obsolescence follow its natural course.

--
Nicolas Mailhot