grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Fri Jan 28 10:48:23 UTC 2005

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2005 à 18:52 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:40:38AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > FC5. So I'll stop loosing my time arguing about it here and let software
> > obsolescence follow its natural course.
>
> Which is the only decent course of action. To argue for xmms' removal
> *now* because rhythmbox will eventually be as good/better then xmms
> is just plain silly. And completely non-productive.

That's not what I wrote.
For me rhythmbox is slightly better _now_.
And with it getting better all the time ever die-hard xmms fanatics will
have an hard time keep it in-core by FC5 time (not that some of the
arguments advanced are not already verging on the outrageous). Which
means *I* don't have to make a desesperate last stand today because I
know which side will win eventually, if not in FC4 then in FC5.

If I were deeply attached to the xmms-way of doing things like you
obviously are I'd push for beep/bmp inclusion now because its lead over
a more mature totem/rhythmbox might not be so obvious in several months.
No sense to put my money (or in this case, my words) on a dying horse.
This is advice freely given, you can ignore it if you wish (but do not
complain later).

--
Nicolas Mailhot