grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jan 28 14:25:32 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in> said:
> I do.  Fedora core should only include one default
> program for each kind of task overall. there might be
> a few exceptions like including say nano as well as
> vim but having 5 different browsers and calling in
> fedora "core" doesnt make any sense at all

The #1 objective of Fedora Core is "Create a complete general-purpose
operating system with capabilities equivalent to competing operating
systems".  There is _nothing_ in the objectives about providing a
minimal OS that pushes all the optional packages to Fedora Extras.

It seems that a lot is being read into the word "Core" in the
distribution that is not meant (at least according to the Fedora
website).

It also seems that some people want to push every package they don't
personally use 20 times a day to Extras, despite the fact that many
others use those packages and that there are not always good
alternatives in the distribution.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>