redhat abe

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jan 28 15:12:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:28 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > > Technically, I don't see any need for apt to adopt yum's repodata
> > > format. Politically, this requirement is introduced by RH not wanting to
> > > add apt-repositories and fedora.us apparently being unable to set up
> > > complete repositories. If apt-repositories are cleverly set up, the
> > > additional overhead they introduce in addition to the original files
> > > becomes more or less negligible.
> >
> > Well, generating repositories demands a lot of a system. Generating 3
> > different repositories (apt, old-yum, new-yum) is really becoming an
> > issue and prevents me from releasing updates flexibly. If I have to wait
> > 30 to 45 minutes before I can starting syncing with a mirror, I delay that
> > sometimes until the next time I'm online which could be 24h later.
>
> Try aptate from apt4rpm (http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net - Try the
> version from CVS-head, the released tarballs are troublesome) and feel
> free to ask me on PM in case of problems :-)

Afaics, aptate just calls genbasedir, yum-arch or createrepo. Each of them
largely doing the same thing and reading 14GB worth of packages.

What I need is either reduce the number of metadata formats that I support
(client-side support) or a much more efficient way of generating the
metadata in a single run. (incrementally update metadata could work too)