grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Sun Jan 30 14:28:56 UTC 2005

Hi.

Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> Sure xmms is small, but it's about 4.8M of RPMS (including devel, flac
> and skins)  On top of this is requires the GTK-1.x libraries so assuming
> not a lot else uses these libraries you're another step towards not
> needing them in core anymore.

I played with rpm a little today to see what prevents gtk1 being removed. After
"rpm -e --test"'ing a whole lot of gtk1 and gnome1 gruft it basically comes down
to a handful of applications that are currently in FC (and a quite impressive
list of applications from external repos, but that's another story):

xmms
system-config-proc
mtr-gtk
and, most important, gnucash.

There are some libraries I had to remove of which I am not sure whether there
are gtk2 replacements (and what these things are good for, anyway):

Guppi
gal

Please note that the above list just represents what currently is installed on
my machine.

--
"OK, last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer!"