RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 31 10:54:40 UTC 2005

Sean wrote:
> What exactly is the problem?   Users uninstall old applications they no
> longer use or upgrade to new versions that use new libraries.   When
> nothing references an old library any more it can be garbage collected.

I think Jeff wants the garbage-collecting process to be initiated by the
distribution, and not to depend on the user running a garbage collector by
himself.

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours ; and
this we should do freely and generously." -- Benjamin Franklin