radical suggestion for fc4 release

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 31 22:36:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:34 -0500, Nick Bargnesi wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:04:36 -0500, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >  this is a touch silly but possibly useful and it would definitely cut
> > down on the old crap blocking up cdroms.
> >
> > how about if we kill all rpm spec file changelog entries OLDER than 2
> > years.
> >
> > they'll still live on in older srpms and rpms but it'd be a useful
> > reduction and it would make the specfiles that much smaller, along with
> > the rpm headers.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> It'd be interesting to see how much space something like this would save first.

Why first? What's the loss in doing it and moving along?

the changelogs would be in cvs FOR EVER and in old srpms and on old isos
and... and... and...

it seems like it is an immediate, not-huge win.

heck it doesn't even have to happen immediately - just the next time
someone edits the spec file - just chop out all the old entries beyond 2
yrs.

if we did that right before every release it's easy to keep track of.

hell, once a year would be enough.

-sv