radical suggestion for fc4 release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 22:53:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:43:32 -0500, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> With no offense whatsoever to anyone, I humbly submit that the comments in
> the changelog are of rather limited use to any non-redhat developer, and are
> totally useless to any end-user.

I don't know about totally useless. I've refered to changelogs in the
past to track down issues when troubleshooting issues concerned when a
certain bugfix or security fix have been applied.  Changelog entries
that refer to specific bug numbers or CAN numbers can be quite helpful
in this regard. Limited, but not totally useless value. I will conceed
that I could probably use a web lookup for all this information if it
were made the primary means of access to changelogs.  And I would be
more at ease with losing the changelogs in the package completely  if
package update notification texts containing the information were more
closely aligned with package update mechanisms.

-jef