Fedora Core 5 Idea

Ovidiu Lixandru ovidiu at linux360.ro
Fri Jul 1 10:36:42 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Just because something is the default isnt going to change your personal
> opinion on it. So instead of convincing people to adopt your choices as
> the default it would be better to just switch the theme over after the
> installation or during kickstart. If you do have rational arguments
> about other set of preferences in various applications, developers are
> more likely to hear you because it generally is much more applicable to
> a wider set of people. I am pretty sure that are dozens of other themes
> which some of the users like which isnt being shipped in Fedora Core at
> all.  You should use the theme sites like http://art.gnome.org or
> http://kde-look.org.  Applications that grab such themes from various
> sites and make the end user experience in changing the themes from a
> wider variety more transparent and easier would be a good thing to do.
> Thats where I would like to see the effort go towards in extras or even
> in core

You're missing the point. I said BlueCurve was chosen as a default for
RH8 through FC3 for other reasons, because BlueCurve has never been the
default theme in official GNOME releases.
As I said some time ago, Fedora Core is losing parts of its graphical
identity. The desktop now starts by default with a stock GNOME theme
which does not include a GTK1 theme, the login theme and the wallpaper
are pretty ugly and quite unprofessional compared to the RHEL ones.
I'm a bit upset about this because I'm a long time RH and FC user and
I've recommended and installed the distro to a lot of regular users. The
interface is the first contact they make with the distro and lately I've
begun considering some other distros for their default interfaces. The
default desktop interface is not an issue for me, it is however for the
people I recommend FC to.

--
Ovidiu Lixandru
linux360