xen, how to boot a 2.4 kernel distro in FC4

Bob Deblier bob.deblier at telenet.be
Fri Jul 1 11:18:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:37 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone please help to find a way, while also getting an
> understanding as to how to boot a 2.4 kernel distro, in my case rhel
> 3, as domU under the 2.6 kernel dom0 from FC4.
>
> I'm having problems. Basically I initially though that running a Xen
> kernel would allow me to boot any os as a domU no matter what their
> kernel was, but I think I have been mistaken with this. I am running
> into problem while booting this.
>
> I would really appreciate any help provided.

As I've mentioned before: the guest OS, i.e. the one running as a domU,
also needs a specially compiled kernel. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-bb579ddda3999d87064a36b7d847fad8e39440ae

This is because Xen is a paravirtualizer instead of a full virtualizer,
like VMware.

Wouldn't it be better to ask questions like this on the xen-users list?
The lack of responses here seems to indicate a general lack of knowledge
in this topic...

Sincerely,

Bob Deblier