Build system - how to ?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jul 5 05:19:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 01:15 -0400, TGS wrote:
> Thanks for the link on Fedora Extras.
>
> As far as Fedora Core is concerned, does that mean that no body can
> see, understand, or even reproduce the Fedora Core build process,
> beehive? That does not seem too Open Source to me.

Please see list archives for many conversations on this topic.

Gist:  Fedora Core uses the Red Hat Enterprise Build system for lack of
anything else right now.  Work is being done on Fedora Extras build
system which may eventually be used to build Fedora Core.  Beehive
cannot be opened at this time due to things outside the control of the
Fedora Project.  Time would be much better spent working on new build
system than hashing out whether or not it is Open Source or GPL
compliant to have the beehive open for review.  Beehive is really just a
scheduling layer for rpmbuild so you can just use rpm build and anaconda
tools to build your own Fedora.  End of topic.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: