new in 2005-7-9 glibc: no more LinuxThreads

Jeremy Utley lfsjeremy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:40:10 UTC 2005

Interesting thread on the removal of LinuxThreads - I myself have been
playing with NPTL only systems for quite some time (well over a year
now) - in all my time working with them, I only personally found one
thing that broke with NPTL libs - and it was a compile-time bug, not a
run-time bug - that being the compilation of a UML (User Mode Linux)
kernel.  Now, mind you, I have not tried to do so in quite some time,
but it used to be that when compiling a UML kernel on an NPTL-only
system (NPTL libpthread in /lib, no /lib/tls), the compile would fail.
 However, a kernel compiled on an older LT system, and the binary
transferred over to an NPTL system, would work perfectly.

Just pointing out another place where this may pose a problem.

Jeremy