No more right click terminal

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jul 12 05:31:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 01:10 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> Seriously dude if you calm down for just a little while, allowing for
> someone to respond who actually knows what happened we won't have a
> witch trial on our hands. ;-)

/me takes the crack pipe out of his hands and puts it away for the
night.  Ok, moving on.

> It's obviously not perfect yet, but GNOME is making progress to being
> both Power Tool friendly (read you) and regular person friendly (read
> hopefully everyone else).

I'm very happy to hear that us relegated power users are still being
thought of when Gnome moves forward.  That does actually have a calming
effect.

> This page describes lots of cool things you can install and use to trick
> out your GNOME DE as you might like.
> http://live.gnome.org/PowerUserTools

I had no idea this existed!  Thank you very much!

> More specifically this page has the package for the _new_ open terminal
> menu item that actually works better in most ways than the old one.
> http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/nautilus-open-terminal/

Hrm, possibly useful, maybe.  Now, if there was perhaps a menu option
for 'open file in terminal w/ vim' perhaps I'd like it (:  But
graphically clicking a bunch of spacial icons to get to a directory
where I might want to do some terminal level file management isn't as
efficient as popping open a terminal and cding directly to where I know
I'm going, or just calling something from ~.  A good chunk of what I use
the terminal for, I do it w/out leaving ~, or it is something indepth
like editing code and checking in/out of svn, or sshing out to some
other system to do something.  Can't very well spacial browse to another
host....

> This new project gives you the option to open a terminal in any nautilus
> window instead of just on the desktop.  The desktop menu will open a
> terminal just like it did before.  However when you open a terminal from
> nautilus window showing "~/folder-x/folder-y/" your terminal will be
> opened to the same directory.  This is something new that I think makes
> this option even better.

By "Desktop Menu" do you mean right-click, or do you mean the main menu
thing then system tools, and finally terminal?

> Now the new item isn't at the top of the context menu, but I think
> that's the only real downside to this projects effort so far.
>
> It'd be great if someone packaged this project in extras so that crew
> with torches and pitch forks out front of my place will go home.

Just out of idle curiosity (or maybe not so idle) how many lines of code
is it really to add one more item to the default desktop right click
context menu?  Is it not something that can be modified or extended on a
live system w/out a complete gnome or nautilus recompile?  Which system
is it that drives the context menu? Gnome or Nautilus or Metacity
or.... ?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)