No more right click terminal

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 00:50:22 UTC 2005

On 7/16/05, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:

> Oh, yes.  Having quick access to the tool to change the background image
> is just _so_ much more important to _so_ many people than is quick
> access to a terminal when you run into something that is inconvenient to
> handle in whatever GUI tool you happen to be running at the time.
>
> Look at it this way.  If you occasionally need access to a terminal and
> starting one isn't quick and easy, then you'll probably decide you need
> to keep a terminal window running all the time.  Which is dirtier:
> having a "Create Terminal" entry in a convenient menu, or keeping a
> mostly unneeded (not for me, BTW) terminal process running "just in
> case".

There are other ways to open a terminal other than that menu item.
Before this discussion, I didn't even know that 'Open Terminal'
existed there.  I have used Gnome for ages.

The Terminal is in the start menu with all the other applications.
It is a little hard to figure out where it lives.  I never can
remember that it is in System Tools.

There are also other fast ways to open a terminal.  It is easy to make
a launcher on the panel.  The second thing I do with a new install is
make a terminal launcher.  This is the proper way to do things.  The
launcher is in the same place with all the applications that people
like to use frequently.

I think it would quite reasonable to argue for a terminal launcher in
the default panel.  This is something which is easy for Fedora to
change.  And something which Fedora already customizes.

 - Ian