gnome-user-share (was Re: No more right click terminal)

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Sun Jul 17 18:41:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 10:55 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 11:36 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Sigh...I'm amazed that people react so violently to something I think is
> > so obviously useful.  I'll answer your email in reverse order:
>
> Useful or not, I have never liked the idea of more file serving things I
> have to hunt for and turn off.  In a corporate environment with
> sensitive data I absolutely cannot have any file sharing system that is
> unauthenticated.

Sure, you can turn it off in that case.

Longer term though I don't think gnome-user-share is incompatible with
controlling information flow in a corporate environment.  For example,
with SELinux you could ensure that every file a software developer
creates is labeled with a type like developer_home_t or something.  Then
imagine that incoming WebDAV requests include the security context of
the invoking process on the remote machine.  gnome-user-share could then
do access checks versus that context.

So you as a system administrator could enforce in a *mandatory* way that
no person logged in as a marketing person (with type marketing_t) could
access files labeled as developer_home_t, even over the network.

With trusted computing you can even ensure that a marketing person can't
subvert the controls by loading a misconfigured or malicious OS that
would send the wrong security context.

Things do get more complicated if you want to allow some sharing between
marketing and development; the real point I'm trying to make is that
gnome-user-share is just a technology for sharing files and there's no
fundamental reason it couldn't be enhanced to work better in a managed
corporate environment as long as it doesn't cost the user experience of
the other use cases (friends in coffee shops, etc.).

> I'm afraid I lack the knowledge of GConf to understand this statement.
> Do you mean that it will default to off?

The default chosen is unrelated to the use of GConf technology; I think
if it was included in Fedora it would default to on.

> My users would be fired if they opened up a unauthenticated share in a
> coffee shop.  Scp, usb fob, https w/ authentication, something along
> those lines.  Not everybody works in an environment where it is OK if
> somebody outside the company gets a hold of source code that is being
> worked on.

This doesn't make much sense to me; it isn't gnome-user-share's fault if
a user drops a confidential document in ~/Public any more than it's
Evolution's fault if they email it to evilcracker at example.com.

If your users have their own laptops that they use for work, I would
expect to be able to use my own laptop to drop a picture in my ~/Public
to share with a friend at a coffee shop; I'd expect the company to trust
me not to do this with confidential data.

Now if your company owns the laptops you can do what you want, the
expectation being that users will not do non-work-related things with
their laptops.  But if you were to turn off gnome-user-share, in
parallel you should also configure Evolution to not allow sending email
to non-work addresses with attachments...

> What port then?  Will the system 'automatically' open this port on the
> user configured firewall, because the system thinks that it should be
> open (much like cups)?

I think it's incompatible with the firewall.  Personally I turned off
the firewall long ago; I don't think it provides much security really.
That's a whole other flamewar though =)

(let's please not go there now...)

> I guess bottom line is that this technology might be useful in some
> environments.  However it poses a (IMHO severe) security risk in many
> other environments and I'd like to see Fedora continue the train of
> thought to turn off potentially security risky services by default and
> make the user make a conscious decision to turn the service back on.

I'd rather make Fedora a usable, general purpose desktop OS by default;
for managed corporate environments there are always going to be a lot of
tweaks to make; disabling gnome-user share (or changing its config)
would just be one more.

> also hope that any UI designed to manage this service requires a root
> password so that joe user couldn't override an administrative setting to
> disable this service (especially if it fiddles w/ the firewall once
> enabled).

Ugh!  You can tell GConf to have a 'mandatory' flag for a key so that
user applications aren't supposed to be able to change it (the idea is
in the UI it would be greyed out); but there's nothing (short of
SELinux) preventing a compromised or buggy application from ignoring the
flag and exec()ing gnome-user-share or whatever.

All of our desktop work is predicated on the idea that the user doesn't
know the root password.  You should never need that to get work done.