FC4 x84_64, GCC4.0 link error

Jim Hayward jimhayward at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 4 16:41:01 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Can anyone give me an good, understandable explanation of exactly what
this error means and how it might be fixed. I did a google search, I get
quite a few hits, but nothing that gives a really good explanation. If I
add -fPIC and recompile it does work around the compile problem. But I
would like to know why.

/usr/bin/ld: cap.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making
a shared object; recompile with -fPIC cap.o: could not read symbols:
Bad value collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Regards,
	Jim H
--
Jim Hayward <jimhayward at earthlink.net>