weird representation for FFFD

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Wed Jul 6 16:10:48 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>I don't think freefont is part of fedora.

No it's not.

> dejavu just made it in fedora extras. Does it have the same problem ?
> (if the answer is yes the dejavu people seem to fix their fonts pretty
> fast - just make them release a fixed version and I'll respin the dejavu
> package)

http://dejavu.sourceforge.net
Cool. It still doesn't have the "standard" U+FFFD char (�) though :(

> As for freefont I've never used it. If it's not a Vera derivative and is
> half decent I may be coaxed into packaging it for FE. Otherwise I've
> already decided dejavu is the only project that is trying hard to merge
> all the Vera variants in an open way so I won't push any other
> Vera-derivative in FE now.

http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/
It's not a vera derivative, and having used it for a week
or so, I've noticed kerning issues especially at smaller
font sizes. It might be a good fall back though, or as
a base for merging into dejavu? It really covers a huge
amount of unicode characters.

--
Pádraig Brady - http://www.pixelbeat.org