weird representation for FFFD

Wed Jul 6 17:02:11 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 06 juillet 2005 à 17:10 +0100, P at draigBrady.com a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >>I don't think freefont is part of fedora.
>
> No it's not.
>
> > dejavu just made it in fedora extras. Does it have the same problem ?
> > (if the answer is yes the dejavu people seem to fix their fonts pretty
> > fast - just make them release a fixed version and I'll respin the dejavu
> > package)
>
> http://dejavu.sourceforge.net
> Cool. It still doesn't have the "standard" U+FFFD char (�) though :(
>
> > As for freefont I've never used it. If it's not a Vera derivative and is
> > half decent I may be coaxed into packaging it for FE. Otherwise I've
> > already decided dejavu is the only project that is trying hard to merge
> > all the Vera variants in an open way so I won't push any other
> > Vera-derivative in FE now.
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/
> It's not a vera derivative, and having used it for a week
> or so, I've noticed kerning issues especially at smaller
> font sizes. It might be a good fall back though, or as
> a base for merging into dejavu? It really covers a huge
> amount of unicode characters.

Well, Fedora already has its share of ugly fonts with wide unicode
coverage. As we're only talking about a single character here, that does
not seem too difficult to create (just add a black diamond to a question
mark), I'd suggest you just get it into dejavu and I'll get the new
dejavu version into Fedora Extras.

If you're quick it'll be available for users by early august.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot