new in 2005-7-9 glibc: no more LinuxThreads

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 00:24:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 15:51 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > However, I would still really like to know if there's a relatively
> > simple way to determine whether or not a particular piece of software
> > makes use of LinuxThreads and will thus break on the new
> > non-LT-capable glibc releases.
>
> No executable will use linuxthreads without being run with special
> environment variables.  If there are many binaries and scripts and it's
> hard to tell what might be going on, you can take a running application
> and look at its /proc/PID/maps to see which libraries are being mapped.
> On FC4 the linuxthreads libraries are in /lib/obsolete/linuxthreads/,
> so that's pretty easy to spot.
>
> On earlier versions it's in different places.  But if you are concerned
> about FC5 compatibility, the first thing to do anyway is make sure you are
> happy with upgrading to FC4.

I don't think that he's asking if there's a way to figure out what uses
LinuxThreads, he's asking if there's a way to figure out what breaks
with NPTL.

And the answer to that question is: no, there isn't any way, besides
noticing that something dies/behaves erratically/etc. with NPTL but not
with LinuxThreads.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>