rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Jul 12 01:28:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 21:14 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 10:31 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 07:37 -0400, Build System wrote:
> >
> > > nautilus-2.11.3-1
> > > -----------------
> > > * Mon Jul 11 2005 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> 2.11.3-1
> > > - Update to 2.11.3
> >
> > Ah, this might be a dumb question, but what happened to the Open
> > Terminal option when right clicking on the desktop in Gnome?
> >
> > Has this been intentionally removed?  If it has, can the user re-enable
> > it on a user by user basis.  This is about the only option I use in this
> > context menu, so it's loss is a great usability issue for me.  I can
> > however see how the average user may not need it, but I'd still like to
> > think that users who do want it might be able to have it.
> >
> > Of course it might just be an accident, in which case I look forward to
> > it's return soon (and if it is a mistake, I'll bugzilla it).
>
> This change has been planned for a while now. Just add a launcher to a
> panel.

I have a launcher on the panel, but to be brutally honest, I don't want
to have to travel to to top of the screen each time I want to launch a
terminal.  On a 1920x1200 screen, that top panel is a long way away when
you're using a trackpad style laptop mouse.

You could argue the same could be done with all the other options in
this menu and we could just do away with the menu. ;-]  At least with
the gnome-terminal option, the resulting terminal is always visible.  On
the other hand, the Create Folder option often creates a folder that
can't be seen as it's covered by windows, so it's arguably a little
pointless (this is probably a bug worth filing (new folder should always
appear on desktop where it's visible).

Can someone point to the thread where removing gnome-terminal was
discussed?

I know this seems a little
my-workflow-isn't-the-same-after-this-change-so-this-isn't-acceptable
but there are plenty of people who use terminals in gnome and I'm sure
that more than a few of them launch them this way.  A gconf variable I
can set to re-add it to the menu would be more than acceptable.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"