rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Jul 12 02:03:26 UTC 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 07:14pm, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 10:31 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 07:37 -0400, Build System wrote:
> > > nautilus-2.11.3-1
> > > -----------------
> > > * Mon Jul 11 2005 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> 2.11.3-1
> > > - Update to 2.11.3
> >
> > Ah, this might be a dumb question, but what happened to the Open
> > Terminal option when right clicking on the desktop in Gnome?
> >
> > Has this been intentionally removed?  If it has, can the user re-enable
> > it on a user by user basis.  This is about the only option I use in this
> > context menu, so it's loss is a great usability issue for me.  I can
> > however see how the average user may not need it, but I'd still like to
> > think that users who do want it might be able to have it.
> >
> > Of course it might just be an accident, in which case I look forward to
> > it's return soon (and if it is a mistake, I'll bugzilla it).
>
> This change has been planned for a while now. Just add a launcher to a
> panel.

Where was that discussion?

I teach many classes and proctor certification exams for Red Hat. Almost
invariably, there are always some students in the class that did not know
about the "Open Terminal" context menu option.  Once they see it, almost
every single one is quite excited about it and starts using it all the time
since it is a whole lot more convenient.

Personally, I prefer KDE, but use both Gnome & KDE regularly.  I wish there
was an option to launch Konsole from such a context menu in KDE.  I use it
all the time on Gnome.  From my first hand experience, I would have to say
that most people who know about it use it.

It seems almost stupid (please, don't flame me, I'm not impugning anyone) to
me to remove such a useful option.  What does it hurt to have it there?  Are
we running out of space in the Nautilus context menu array or something?
Give us some good reasons why that should go.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor