No more right click terminal

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jul 12 04:37:29 UTC 2005

I would really like to open this up to the discussion for the users and
developers of Fedora.  This feature is very ingrained in a lot of our
muscle memories, deeply embedded in our internal and external
documentation for not just end users but entry level admins, group
admins, and a myriad of folks that really do have a use for the
terminal.  Sure you can just as easily get to it by selecting it from a
menu, so that actually goes in my favor.  If we're trying to 'protect'
the user, why have it in the menu at all?  If the end user that Gnome
seems to care about won't notice, why not leave it so that the people
who have a clue and have the capability of helping out don't get pissed
off by yet another 'lets break history in favor of some "usability" we
think is right for the fabled holy grail of an end user'.

This is yet another move in a long history of Gnome moves that makes me
wish somebody forked gnome a while ago and removed all these stupid
'save the end user from themselves' changes.  For god sakes, make a 'end
user safe' UI that has all these things in it, and then make a 'real
user' UI that actually allows work to be done in the way that it has
been done for years.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)