rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Jul 12 13:34:51 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> > Why? Out of the entire GNOME menu, that was the most useful feature
> > by an order of magnitude (for me).

> (for you)  sums it up.  Perhaps... just perhaps... you aren't inside
> the target audience that Gnome is designing for. [...]

[...]

>   Its pretty brave of Gnome to actually say mainstream users of their
> desktop do not need quick access to a terminal to get typical
> workloads done... but I can't disagree with the goal. Mainstream
> office and home users of a modern computer desktop environment should
> not need to use the terminal so oftern that the terminal should be in
> the main desktop menu.

Right. And changing the desktop background is a regular operation,
/absolutely requiring/ an entry there.

Oh, come on. Sure, GUIs /can/ be used in a just-point&drool way, but the
commands are what makes *ix powerful.

[Yes, for me X is just an easy way to have half a dozen ttys open together
 with xemacs.]