No more right click terminal

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:35:31 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 11:39 +0100, Cam wrote:
> > I used that desktop menu, but I will now try to configure
> > ctrl-shift-T
> > to open a new terminal. It's the same key sequence to open a new tab
> > in
> > a terminal... Hope that can be made to work.
> >

> Yes, I can retrain my usage.  However I'm tired of chasing the terminal
> around where gnome wants to hide it.  First (well first for me) it was
> on the taskbar.  Cool.  Then it moved and I found it on the menu.  Cool.
> Then it moved again, and again, and again and I said 'eff it' and used
> the right click option and modified all my documentation to reference
> this, thinking that it has been here this long, surely it'll stay...
> Especially given that people go "Oooh!  Thats handy!" every time I show
> them it.
>
> Alas no, it is now removed and it's time for 'hunt the terminal again'
> for each release and then modify documentation accordingly.  It's not
> nice to have an if/then block for each and every release of Fedora on
> where to find the terminal.  God knows where they'll stick it next
> release, however I have an idea.

To quote someone at Red Hat: "Amen Brother." I will now have to update another
couple of internal FAQ's, train a bunch of window techs on the new place to tell
their customers for the hidden terminal, and just be plain grumpy for a bit.

On trying to get a positive outlook on this.. how does someone make a
'corporate desktop' for GNOME? If I want to push out 200 machines with
every fricking user having a
terminal icon on the background and on the menu bars.. how is that
done? I think it will
be easier to go this route and let the GNOME hackers go off mammoth
hunting for a
while...

--
Stephen J Smoogen.