No more right click terminal

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Jul 13 09:53:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 10:07 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I believe we already have it. The two user interfaces of which you speak
> are GNOME and KDE.
>
> I'm not actually a KDE user, although I used to be about 8 years ago.
> But I suspect I will be again, fairly soon.

Actually, I think David touches on an important point here.  While I
understand why the 'average user' might not need 'developer features' in
the basic gnome interface, and while I understand that these may
actually be confusing for the 'average user' if included, the back lash
from people on these lists (what I would mostly assume to be people
involved in the development process) makes me wonder how Gnome is going
to keep developers interested if they keep making 'development tools'
harder to access?  (What a mouthful).

I'm starting to think that while this move is a worthwhile move, it
needed to be handled a little bit better.  I was the original person to
note that the gnome-terminal had been removed from the menu, and while I
can understand why it is gone, the manner in which it went was a little
unsavory.

I know no that I have alternatives.  I hope that nautilus-gnome-terminal
will make it into core (or at least extras) and I also know that I can
set up gnome-terminal to launch in other ways (keystokes for example,
not my preferred manner after seven years of developing software in
Linux (and using Gnome) but it does work - each to their own).

I guess what got me going was the total lack of 'event a' is going to
happen, but you can achieve the same effect these ways.  Look at the
storm (fire storm maybe - get it? flames?) that's ensued on this list.

Gnome may not wish for the terminal to be included in the base desktop
menu, but I now believe that they need to maintain (and it seems they
are to some degree) packages to reclaim these features.  These packages,
however, need to be in place before removing features so that these sort
of thread-fests occur less and less.

I'm not about to stop using Gnome, but I have wondered about switching
to KDE which I understand has only just recently added this features
(which might say something about what I regard as a feature bloated
desktop).

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"