No more right click terminal

Wed Jul 13 19:27:47 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 13 juillet 2005 à 09:39 -0700, Per Bjornsson a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > It's interesting to read people claim there is absolutely no problem, user
> > experience will be enhanced by a simpler desktop, when (for example) at
> > the same time Gnome browsers sink into obscurity and are replaced by
> > Firefox.
> >
> > Seems actual "basic" users would rather cope with the warts of a
> > non-native app than experience the full Gnome simplicity.
>
> I think that this is about the worst example you could possibly have
> chosen to go with.

Not at all.
For Mozilla people Firefox is simple.
But compared to Galeon or Epiphany - it's a very complex UI.
In fact if Gnome people took over Firefox today they'd be busily
removing scores of features.

I could have taken the office case as example but it wouldn't have been
fair. Galeon and Epy OTOH had several years of head start over Firefox
for building the perfect simple UI, the advantage of being native and
integrating with the desktop, insider access to distributions, and still
managed to botch it because of the very same attitude that's discussed
in this thread.

It's good to have a grand top-down vision, but userbase should not be
ignored. Especially not because it does not conform to some sort of
hypothetical perfect target user (hint : populations are not composed
uniformly of synthetic median users). I've been in a start-up and any
user feedback (even unrepresentative user feedback) is better than the
models people have in their heads. Teams that do not accept it do not
get past their first birthday.

--
Nicolas Mailhot