PCMCIA & udev changes

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 04:33:16 UTC 2005

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazquez at ivazquez.net) said:
> > - The use of /etc/hotplug.d and /etc/dev.d for the running of programs on
> >   hotplug and udev events is officially deprecated.
> >
> >   All programs that have been run in this way need to be converted to
> >   RUN targets in udev rule files; these can be dropped in /etc/udev/rules.d.
> >   Old dev.d and hotplug.d events will still be run in a compatibility mode
> >   for now... I'm not yet sure how long we will continue to do so.
>
> Where can we read up on the changes necessary for this?

There's some stuff in /usr/share/doc/udev-062/RELEASE-NOTES, but it's not
very elaborate.

Here's one simple example, from the alsa-utils package that lands tomorrow:

SUBSYSTEM=="sound", KERNEL=="pcm*"   RUN+="/sbin/salsa"

This, for any sound device with a name pcm*, runs /sbin/salsa. The '+=' means
that it's added in addition to any other RUN directives that might be queued for
this event.

When /sbin/salsa is run, it has all the usual environment variables expected
in a udev/hotplug script - DEVPATH, ACTION, etc.

Bill