No more right click terminal

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Thu Jul 14 16:31:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 11:06 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:

> I'm not sure if people realize how unwelcomming this sort of attitude is.
> It's very much reminiscent of the in-group environment enjoyed in the core
> BSD circles. It is bad. This is not how you build a community, even if
> you are correct at a rational level.

I agree with the totality of this portion.  Namely:
1) Many of the issues raised on this list do not belong here.
2) Many times the off-topic threads end with rude comments.
3) This is not a good way to encourage people to contribute to Fedora.

Ideas (possibly cracktastic) to change this:

1) Boilerplate similar to POSTISOFFTOPIC but specifically for addressing
issues to upstream.  A group of  volunteers to send the actual message
whenever a post is off topic.  Everyone else agrees to ignore off-topic
posts.

2) Start a project to package different default values for Extras.  We
have redhat-rpm-config changing rpm and fedora-release changing the
config of yum.  Maybe there should be a poweruser-gconf-tweaks.  (More
seriously, it should probably be more like config-nautilus-nonspatial,
config-rpmbuild-userdirs, config-metacity-focusfollows, etc)  this can
work for things that just require default config changes but will not
work for compilation/upstream code changes.

3) Express interest in following upstream developments.  Encourage the
opening of bugzilla.redhat.com bugs with upstream bug #'s for these
issues.  There's no commitment to make changes, just a commitment to
actively monitor what upstream has to say about the issue and if
upstream commits to making a change, we'll do the same.

4) <Your wildly creative back of the envelope idea here>

-Toshio