Cutting Edge

Mauricio Gomes mgomes at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 21:24:09 UTC 2005

OmniUni wrote:

> Looking over the recent editions of this list, I have noticed that in
> many respects, fedora development is stuck in the past.

Which respects?  You only mention your personal preference of KDE.

> Fedora Core is supposed to be a cutting edge distro, and for the most
> part, it is. As a community, however, we must not be afraid to bring
> up new ideas to a distribution with so much a standardized history.
> For Fedora to remain cutting edge, it must be willing to change. I am
> a KDE user, and I am because I find it easier, faster, lighter, more
> stable, more friendly, more cusomizable, more elegant, and more
> powerful than GNOME. Will this change? perhaps. I used to like GNOME
> better, but that changed when Sawfish changed to Metacity. (around RHL
> 7.3-- 8.0 was metacity) Will requesting that Fedora become KDE based
> instead of GNOME based be likely to make a major impact here? no. Is
> it important that I request? yes. I do so, because it alerts the
> developers to views of Feora Core's users. OpenSource must be about
> Open Minds as well as free software. I am up to a lively discussion
> about KDE vs. GNOME, and a friendly reminder that GNOME must remain
> the focus of Fedora Core for now, but I certainly hope that I will not
> get any responses that look down upon me for expressing my views.
>
> -OmniUni at gmail.com <mailto:OmniUni at gmail.com>

You preferring KDE over Gnome is personal opinion.  Fedora includes KDE
and Gnome.  If a user thinks KDE is all those things you say it is, they
can easily switch to it, or not install Gnome at all.  Selecting a
default WM though hardly makes a distribution "cutting-edge."

Mauricio Gomes