/usr and /usr/local

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 15 13:08:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:58:29PM +0100, Foster, Gareth wrote:
> I have been working on porting my wallpaper tray program to the gnome panel
> (from the notification area), and I have hit a snag with Fedora.
> I have to configure my program as follows:
> ./configure --prefix="/usr"

Are you making an RPM, or just installing locally? For installing locally,
you *want* it to be going into /usr/local.

> The default is /usr/local, and this results in my panel applet not being
> available from the menu. Now, I am trying to add a gconf schema (I think not
> having one was causing bugs), and the schema is ending up getting installed
> to /usr/etc which is clearly wrong.

Try "./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc". Or, if this is inside an
RPM spec file, use "%configure". (Run "rpm --eval '%configure'" from the
command line to find out what all that sets.)