List purpose (was Re: No more right click terminal)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Jul 15 16:10:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:07:38PM +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:36:50AM -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > Very smart. It seems that _anything_ is pointless to discuss here.
> Anything except development of Fedora.

Discussing and making decisions is INTEGRAL to the development process.
It's what actually should stand BEFORE hacking around randomly.

> Hijacking what is supposed to be a development list is not
> counterproductive?

It's not hijacking. It's using the list for what it's there. If you
think otherwise, please point to a more appropriate list. And actually
one where the Red Hat folks who actually make all the decisions really
take part in.

> > As I understand it, the entire point of having a _community_ distro like
> > Fedora is to channel all this customer feedback into a better product.
> Patches are the preferred form of feedback.

Nonsense.

I won't waste hours on writing a patch that gets just ignored. I don't
have this surplus time. My only chance to influence things is to bring
up my arguments. All else gets decided by Red Hat or "upstream" anyway
(and "upstream" can be overridden by Red Hat again if they like... if
RED HAT likes, not the community).

> I'd like everyone here to take a few minutes and read recent
> fedora-extras-list or fedora-maintainers-readonly archives.
> That's what development discussions look like, and not
> what one can see on this list.

-extras isn't Core, and we discuss here problems with Core. -readonly
is: <drumroll> READ ONLY </drumroll>.

> Sending off-topic mail here
> only means that development discussions will move to
> more closed places (fedora-maintainers), or stay at more closed
> places (internal Red Hat lists).

Well, that'd just mean less marketing material to back up the
"community distro" claim, that's all. We constantly hear that we're
being ignored anyway.

Regards,
Daniel