No more right click terminal

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Jul 15 17:14:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 13:03 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/14/05, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:
> > 1) Boilerplate similar to POSTISOFFTOPIC but specifically for addressing
> > issues to upstream.  A group of  volunteers to send the actual message
> > whenever a post is off topic.  Everyone else agrees to ignore off-topic
> > posts.
>
> Are you prepared to enforce that "agreement" by banning people who
> continue to responde to threads that are off-topic?  I'm prepared to
> "agree" to not post on a thread that has received a postisofftopic
> designation, just as long as people who don't abide by that agreement
> are shown the door.

I'm prepared to accept that.  Don't think I'm prepared to support it
though.  These are ideas to encourage people about the community aspect
of Fedora.  Is banning people something that supports or discourages
community?  I think the first impression will be similar to the
-maintainers first impression.  Could even be worse unless we set up a
parallel fedora-devel-readonly list.  And what about redhat personnel?
One of the original Fedora openness requirements was that discussion was
to take place on the fedora-devel list.  Can they be banned?

I think banning people is somewhat of a different topic.

> > 2) Start a project to package different default values for Extras.  We
> > have redhat-rpm-config changing rpm and fedora-release changing the
> > config of yum.  Maybe there should be a poweruser-gconf-tweaks.  (More
> > seriously, it should probably be more like config-nautilus-nonspatial,
> > config-rpmbuild-userdirs, config-metacity-focusfollows, etc)  this can
> > work for things that just require default config changes but will not
> > work for compilation/upstream code changes.
>
> I really don't think you a whole slew of individual config tools for
> individual gconf key settings.

Yeah.

Barring other options, I think it would be possible to do in a
non-horrendous fashion.  It would take a good deal of organization, to
achieve that, though, as the underlying structures don't enforce any of
the rules necessary to keep things sane.  I'd rather see other options
emerge.

> Can't you do this sort of thing for gnome desktops by providing
> pre-packaged sabayon profiles moving forward? Since sabayon seems to
> be exactly the tool aimed at administrors to created pre-cooked user
> profiles and apply those profiles to a user account as needed.

Sabayon certainly looks like it could be a more directed approach.  The
question I have, though, is whether Sabayon will let me ship a config to
Jesse, or Matthias to me.  In other words, not just from
system-administrator to user, but user to user.

The area I'm thinking needs to be filled is preference-themes.
Developers need a developer-oriented desktop.  Mom needs a
point-and-click oriented desktop.  Graphics designers need a
let-me-learn-as-I-work desktop.  Can Sabayon be used to create a
pre-cooked file that the end-user can download and install to utilize
the preferences they think are right?

Right now, I'm just brainstorming.  I identified a problem.  These are
some possible solutions.  Do you agree that the problem exists?  Do you
have an alternate off-the-wall solution?

-Toshio