No more right click terminal

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 15 19:59:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 06:15:41PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> I once was under the impression that all this here is done for users,
> isn't it? So accept user feedback.

Let me get this straight.

Case A:

- User finds something he dislikes about Fedora's Gnome desktop.
- User complains to fedora-devel-list/fedora-list/bugzilla.redhat.com/...
- User is told to take his complaint upstream.
- User takes his complaint upstream.
- Developer takes complaint and cooks up patch/change/workabout/...
- Change is released in the following Gnome version.
- Change is included in every Gnome installation (including Fedora's).

Case B:

- User finds something he dislikes about Fedora's Gnome desktop.
- User complains to fedora-devel-list/fedora-list/bugzilla.redhat.com/...
- Fedora maintainer add patchs to package.
- Next Fedora version includes said patch.

with the following effects:

- Developer complains about changes and refuses to handle bug reports about
the fedora package (whether the bug reports are related to the patch or not).
- Maintainer has to maintain said patch for life.
- User is never introduced to new (possibly better) ways of using his desktop.
- Users of other distributions are still using the crappy (according to the
user) Gnome desktop).

Now, I don't see any possible way Case B could be argued more effective than
Case A. In fact, I think it's worse in every possible respect.

Emmanuel