No more right click terminal

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Jul 15 22:32:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 17:16 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Terminals should not be thought of as power-users only; they're useful
> > for everybody.
>
> Completely, totally disagree.  Every time a non-developer/non-sysadmin
> has to use the terminal for something is a bug.

This is the most <censored/> argument I've seen on this thread.

http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

Any argument derived from this logic is totally absurd.
Non-shell usage for many things typically involves an amount of user
action AND knowledge several times bigger.

There's nothing hard on the following requirement:
   edit a text file with well documented comments to change preferences.

A text file configuration has all those things that until now no GUI
developer has ever been able to bring about, like finding a certain
configuration option, for instance.

And I don't mean "use vi" as a principle.

Just remember one of GUI's main functions: people, who haven't yet a
developed enough level of abstraction (due to age, intellect, etc...)

> Autocad is a very specialized tool for a particular audience.  You can
> probably assume that most of its users spend 8 hours a day for years in
> front of it and that any time they can save helps a lot.

What you say is actually true for more and more of "office" jobs.

What saves more time:
  a simple alias that disguises an ldapsearch command (like "phone
Someone")
or
  opening an ldap client (like some MUAs) clicking the right button then
locating "Someone"?

My gf works at a Portuguese "k-mart"-style shop, in the office, and the
stories I hear... so frequently they would improve a thousandfold their
performance should they use some simple combinations of TEXT USER
INTERFACE commands... a pity they use Windows...

OOPS! Main pattern here: commands suck, UI rules
			=> this is true in BAD operating systems

Rui

+ So let's do it...?