No more right click terminal

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 23:15:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 18:11 -0500, Brent D. Norris wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Completely, totally disagree.  Every time a non-developer/non-sysadmin
> > has to use the terminal for something is a bug.
>
> This is a very odd statement since one of the reasons that I was turned on
> to Linux was that one of my teachers used to use a CLI command to figure
> his entire class grades in one swoop.  He entered his grades into a text
> file using vi and then had a command aliased that would figure everything
> up for him.

When I was a TA, I used Gnumeric to keep track of grades.

> What exactly is the fastest way in a GUI to take the output of a file that
> has all the grades for an entire class in it, figure everyone's grades,
> separate them based upon email address, and then mail them individually
> from a GUI, while also mailing them ALL to his Department head in like 10
> seconds?

I in fact wrote a bash script to send grade mail as well (from the
exported gnumeric spreadsheet as text) but that's just because the
provided tool for grading sucked and was in tcl/tk and I didn't want to
touch it.  The university should be in the business of providing grading
tools; they shouldn't expect every TA to write their own.