No more right click terminal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jul 16 01:54:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:18:54PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > By "effective," don't you mean efficient?
> >
> > Yes, sorry. English is unfortunately not my native language. :-Z
>
> No apology necessary, I just wanted to make sure I understood you
> correctly.

Yup, that's how I understood your intention too. I'm just curse
myself for such mistakes. :-)

> > There is not just black and white. There are shades of grey, too. "Best
> > of both worlds" approach.
>
> True.  One size does not fit all.  GNOME tries to fit most "general
> users," for example.

Can you please describe those users? Please including statistical
evidence that this fits the Fedora(!) user base.

> Wrong.  But I will admit I typed the wrong key sequence below.  I have a
> shortcut assigned to "Ctrl+Alt+T," not "Ctrl+Shift+T," which opens up a
> new terminal tab.  No matter what I'm doing -- even in a terminal
> already -- Ctrl+Alt+T opens up a new terminal.  I don't need to move the
> mouse at all.

And what if the application running in the terminal needs to receive
those keypresses?

Keyboard shortcuts are always a difficult subject, as it's important
which application (desktop being one of them) receives it, or has
priority. Yes, compromises can be made. Still, I need to grab the mouse
anyway to quickly position the window exactly where I want it. The
ALT-F7 cursor-key movement (even with the Shift acceleration) doesn't
cut it at all (for me).

> Notwithstanding the above, I am responding only to your claim that the
> right-click "Open Terminal" is the most efficient way to *open a
> terminal.*  Now you're talking about moving it where you want it, which
> has little to do with using nautilus-open-terminal.

Well, it's the whole procedure to getting a new terminal ready for
action. That includes (to me) starting the terminal and positioning and
perhaps resizing it to what I want. I can never get to the speed of
using the mouse for that with keyboard functions. And I'm quite a quick
keyboard typist, I'm doing it since since literally infancy. :-)

> > Now if metacity would actually pop the window ready-to-drag under the
> > mouse pointer (drop where it should be by left-click... you know, all
> > the stuff fvwm had many many years ago already), even that could be
> > optimized, as no mouse movement to fetch the newly popped up window (in
> > the left upper corner, where the average mouse movement necessariy is
> > max) would be necessary anymore.
>
> You keep getting further away from the argument at hand.  What metacity
> does has nothing to do with this thread either.

Indeed. I was fading away, thinking load how to even more speed up the
process and make the GUI more convenient.

> None of this precludes the use of nautilus-open-terminal.  You haven't
> responded to the more relevant and important part of my post, which is
> about getting nautilus-open-terminal included as part of a new package
> combination, say for power users.

I did, but probably in other responses to other folks. I think the idea
of a package to add such an IMHO essential triviality back to GNOME
is like asking for people to shop again for the gear shift handle after
buying a new car. It's just completely over the top, IMHO.

Regards,
Daniel