No more right click terminal

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 06:18:36 UTC 2005

On 7/15/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:

> Please actually read what I was replying to before jumping in.

I've read every post in this "discussion", some with amusement, some
with incredulity.  Mostly with a mounting irritation.

> > I really think you should try this before dismissing it.  I have a key
> > combination (alt-esc, in case you're wondering), that I use to open a
> > new terminal.  It works no matter what application has focus.
>
> And now you're working with an application that needs this key
> combination in your terminal, or in the application itself. What now?

*If* that were to happen (and it never has), I can quite easily remap
the key combo.

> > > Yes, but I need to grab the mouse anyway to position the new terminal
> > > window where I need it.
> >
> > Ummm... no you don't.  Open the new shell (with a key combination),
> > then use alt-F7 to move the window (with the cursor keys).
>
> It takes 4 seconds to move a window in Y axis and 6 seconds in X axis
> here with that method. Moving window with cursor keys... sorry, don't
> have time and nerve for that game. :-)

Try pressing the shift key.

> > Very efficient, and no need to take my hands off the keyboard!
>
> I'm already in your step4 when you're still working your cursor keys.
> Really. You won't beat left-hand-on-keyboard (for ALT to move the
> window) and right-on-mouse raising and moving the term. :-)
>
> The time it takes for your method to open up a new term and move it into
> the right lower corner here takes TEN SECONDS. Mine takes less than two.
> Try it. :-)

Using shift, I can throw a window into any corner of the screen in no time.

The point is -- /there's more than one way to do it/, whatever /it/
is.  That's the beauty of Linux.  Taking examples to ridiculous
extremes doesn't help prove a point.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves