No more right click terminal

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:42:01 UTC 2005

On 7/16/05, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 06:55:46PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > They also said we should remove the content menu to get to the terminal
> > > cause it scares people like my mom.
> >
> > Can anyone cite a single case of this?
>
> No but I can cite the reverse. Commodore made the mistake with the Amiga and
> had to backpedal in the next release. They were however hiding the terminal
> entirely not moving it off the default menu

I'm not sure why there is so much fuss about this.

I agree that it was a mistake to reduce the accessibility of the
terminal, and I know a lot of non-geek users that get a lot of use out
of it...  at the same time, this change is completely consistent with
the overall trend in Gnome development:  It follows naturally from
the, in my view mistaken, assumption that the best way to make the
system easier to use is to design it for an operator with
substantially diminished mental capacity rather than just designing
for people who don't want to become Unix sysadmins just to use their
computers.

If you disagree with moving the terminal then you most likely disagree
with hundreds of other things Gnome has done in the name of
usability... So, you should be arguing these individual issues on the
Gnome list or you should be lobbying for the transition of Fedora Core
to another default desktop environment.

It is unreasonable to ask the distribution maintainers to turn back
the tide of gnome development, with patches, a teaspoon at a time.